Senior dating online may be a stretch for some of us, but consider the benefits. Do you let age put unnecessary restrictions on you? Some days I feel like I am seventeen. Other days I don’t. Can baby boomers and other seniors find love again? Why not?
“I think people would live a bit longer if they didn’t know how old they were. Age puts restrictions on things.” Karl Pilkington
One month after we both lost our respective spouses, I had a phone conversation with an old family friend. It went something like this:
“So, Harry, how did it happen that we have come to this point in our lives and find ourselves alone, without a partner?
It was extremely difficult for Harry to accept that his wife of 40 years was gone. Though she was in his heart and he talked with her privately, Ann would never be a part of his every day life again. He had lost her rather quickly — just four short months from diagnosis to death.
I lost my husband after a long ten-year battle with cancer. There is really no way of losing a loved one that equips us to deal with the loss or know how to pick up the pieces.
I could not believe it when, in time, we started talking about finding new mates. Wondering whether senior online dating was a viable option, we talked. Dating again, at our age?
Maybe you have lost a spouse, like I did. Or, maybe you just needed to go your separate ways and divorced. Maybe you still have never found that special someone.
Take the action you need to make the next years of your life the most rewarding yet.
A few months after my husband died, I realized that I was STUCK in my old life as wife and caretaker for someone who was no longer here. It was a empty place to be. I knew if I did not get out of it, I would have no life. Maybe I would just wither up and die myself. I had to move on. Now I needed to get unstuck!
My children are enormously important to me, but they have their own lives to live. I don’t want them to worry, or feel like they have to take care of me or entertain me. I would prefer to show them how I would like them to go forward with their own lives as they age. You can show your children by your example.
Senior Online dating as a 68-year-old widow can be a daunting experience. But, it can also be rewarding —- a great deal of fun, a health way to socialize — if you take the necessary precautions. Plus, you may just find a perfect mate along the way.
What is that old saying? “Fools rush in where angels fear to tread!” That was me. I hope you can benefit from my experience and those of others from whom I have learned.
This blog will guide you through a comfortable, enjoyable, safe and fun online or offline dating experience. You will be safer, more confident and better equipped to re-enter the dating life and find true companionship and love. And, you will do it all in far less time.
Why not just find a mate the old-fashioned way?
There is much that can be said about meeting a mate the old-fashioned way, face to face through church, special interest groups, volunteering, through friends, etc. And I encourage you to keep these options open. But, there is also a vast audience of potential mates that may live within a ten-mile radius of you that you will never meet by conventional means.
According to Pew Research, online dating has increased by 36% across all age groups in the last two years. So, it is now considered a favorable way to find a match.
Other advantages to senior dating online:
- You know that the people on a dating site are available and interested in dating!
- The ability to target people who are in your age range and share your interests can be a big plus.
- You do not have to rush. Using email you can control the pace of the conversation, choose when and how to respond. You have time to think about your response.
- There is no pressure. You can concentrate on what you want to say without being distracted in the moment to give an immediate response. The email communication allows you time to reflect and gain perspective.
- Rereading your email conversations will refresh your memory. And, you’re free to just be yourself!
- You don’t have to worry about what he or she will think about what you say as they are not standing face to face.
- When you get to the point of an in-person meeting, you have a clearer understanding of whether this is someone you actually would enjoy meeting.
Be aware of limitations to senior dating online
- There is the obvious lack of actually doing something together. No amount of writing can replace a face to face meeting.
- No matter how detailed the online profile, without a face to face meeting there is the chance that you will read something into a message that was not intended. And, unfortunately, people are not always as they portray themselves online.
- Some people fall victim to romantic fantasies, and this can lead to serious disappointment.
But if you are wary of these potential pitfalls, you are better equipped to deal in reality. Let’s face it, you do not have a whole life time to wait for someone to come around. Take a chance.
To paraphrase C. Joy Bell:
A lifetime isn’t forever, so take your chances, don’t wait for the next one! Because sometimes, there isn’t a next time! And if it turns out to be a mistake? So what! This is life! But if you never take action, if you never take a chance — that is true failure!
It’s your life! Don’t live a lonely life in grief! Take action and gain companionship.
Follow this blog and sign up for continuing updates. You will learn more about how to journey through senior dating online with confidence. You can make the next years of your life the most rewarding yet.